Information to help you prepare for your trip to the US
March 29, 2023
5 minutes of reading
The United States is a popular destination for South Korean students. Is it the right choice for you?
According to Open Door 2021/2022 data, there were 40,755 South Korean students studying in the United States. With the US home to top universities in traditional majors such as business and management and growing fields of study such as STEM, these numbers are not surprising.
What are the main areas of study?
The most popular fields of study for South Korean students studying in the US include:
- Engineering: South Korean students have a strong interest in engineering, including areas such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and computer engineering. (sixteen%)
- Mathematics: Mathematics is another sought-after field of study, which includes areas such as pure mathematics and applied mathematics. (13%)
- information technologies: Information technology and computer science are also in-demand areas of study. (13%)
- business and administration: Interest in business and management stocks remains strong; including finance, marketing and accounting. (12%)
- fine Arts: Subjects such as photography, painting, sculpture and graphic design are attractive options for many students. (10%)
- Natural Sciences: natural sciences, including biology, chemistry and physics, are also popular, although not as popular as others. (8%)
That these are general trends and that specific areas of study for South Korean students may vary depending on each student's academic background and interests. Additionally, the popularity of certain fields may change over time as educational and economic conditions in South Korea and the United States evolve.
What are the best schools?
Universities pride themselves on having a diverse student population and happily welcome international students from around the world. The best schools for South Korean students in the United States can vary depending on individual preferences and needs. However, some of the most popular universities among South Korean students include:
- University of California, Los Angeles(UCLA)
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology(SWINDLER)
- Harvard University
- University of California, Berkeley
- princeton university
These colleges are highly selective and competitive, with admission determined by a variety of factors, including academic performance, test scores, extracurricular activities, and personal essays.
The popularity of specific universities can fluctuate over time and can depend on a variety of factors such as academic programs, research opportunities, cost of attendance, location and available resources and support for international students. You will certainly find a program and university best suited to your individual goals.
Are there specific scholarships available?
Yes, there are scholarships available for students from South Korea who want to study in the United States. Some of these scholarships are sponsored by the South Korean government, while others are offered by universities, non-profit organizations and private foundations.
Here are some examples of scholarships available to South Korean students:
- Korean-American Scholarship Foundation(KASF): ElKASFoffers scholarships to Korean-American and international Korean students seeking higher education in the United States.
- foundation of korea: Hefoundation of koreaadministered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Korea offers scholarships for students pursuing advanced studies in various fields including arts, humanities, social sciences and natural sciences.
- korea global exchange(GKS): O.SGKSis a government-sponsored scholarship that provides funding for South Korean students to study abroad, including in the United States.
- scholarships: Many universities in the United States offer scholarships to international students, including students from South Korea. These scholarships can be based on merit, financial need, or a combination of both.
- Private Bags: There are also private scholarships available for South Korean students studying in the United States. These fellowships can be sponsored by corporations, foundations or individual donors and can be awarded based on a variety of criteria, including academic performance, leadership, community service and special talents or abilities.
Availability and eligibility criteria for these scholarships may change over time and vary depending on the specific scholarship. Students should research and apply for scholarships that best suit their individual circumstances and goals.
What student resources are available?
International students from South Korea studying in the United States have access to a variety of resources and support services. Some of these features include:
- University International Admissions Offices: Most universities have dedicated offices that provide support and resources for interested international students. These offices can help with admissions and English language requirements, immigration documentation, housing options and other practical matters.
- Student organizations on campus: Many universities have student organizations for international students, including those from South Korea. These organizations can be a great way to meet other students from the same country and participate in cultural events and activities.
- Cultural Centers on Campus: Some universities have cultural centers that provide resources and programming for students from specific countries or regions. These centers can offer language classes, events and workshops, and other resources specifically for South Korean students.
- government resources: The South Korean government provides resources and support to its citizens studying abroad, including in the United States. South Korean students can contact the Korean Embassy or Consulate in the United States for assistance with legal, immigration and other matters.
- EducationUnited States: The US Department of State offers several advisory services for South Korean students interested in studying in the United States. Find your counseling officehere.
- online communities: There are many online communities such as Facebook groups and forums that are specifically for South Korean students studying in the United States. These can be a great way to connect with other students and get advice and support.
The specific resources available to South Korean students in the United States may vary depending on university and location.
What is the demographic of South Korean students studying in the United States?
- Gender: South Korean students in the United States are generally evenly divided between men and women.
- Age: The largest group of South Korean students in the United States are between the ages of 18 and 24, although there are also older students pursuing advanced degrees or continuing education.
- level of education: Most South Korean students in the United States are pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees, although there are also some students pursuing doctoral degrees.
- English domain: Most South Korean students in the United States are highly proficient in English, although the level of proficiency can vary depending on the individual student and the type of academic program they are studying.
These demographic characteristics are general trends, and the specific demographics of South Korean students in the United States can vary depending on the individual student and the university they attend. Additionally, the demographics of South Korean students in the United States may change over time as educational and economic conditions in South Korea and the United States evolve.
Are there online communities available?
Yes, these online communities provide a platform for students to connect, exchange information and advice, and build a sense of community while studying abroad.
Here are some examples of online communities for South Korean students in the United States:
- Café Naver: Naver Cafe is a popular online platform in South Korea that connects students with similar interests and backgrounds. There are specific Naver Cafe groups for South Korean students studying in the US where they can connect and share information and experiences.
- facebook groups: There are also Facebook groups specifically for South Korean students in the United States. These groups provide a platform for students to connect, seek advice, and share information and experiences.
- Korean Student Associations: Many universities in the United States have Korean student associations, which provide a community for South Korean students on campus. Some of these organizations also have online forums or platforms where students can connect with each other.
- international student organizations: Some universities also have international student organizations, which provide a community for international students on campus, including students from South Korea. These organizations may have online forums or platforms where students can connect with each other.
The availability and accessibility of these online communities may vary based on the specific community and individual student needs and preferences. South Korean students in the United States should research and explore online communities that best suit their individual circumstances and goals.
In 2022, ECE wrote 850 credential evaluation reports for South Korean students. We have the experience to help you take the next step in your life. We would be honored to write aevaluation reportto you too!
According to Open Doors data from 2021/2022 there were 40,755 South Korean students studying in the United States. Since the U.S. boasts top-rated universities in traditional degrees like business and management and growing areas of study like STEM, those numbers aren't surprising.Which university in the US has the most Korean students? ›
Over 3,300 students of Korean heritage study at UCLA, the most of any university in the United States. The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) houses the largest and most prestigious Korean program of any university in the continental United States.How many Korean international students are in the US? ›
|Characteristic||Number of international students|
Korean students going to study abroad
In particular, the United States is the most preferred study abroad area because it is the most familiar English-speaking country for Koreans. The number of Korean students enrolled in the U.S. universities in 2020/2021 was around 39 thousand, the third-highest.
Former U.S. President Barack Obama has also lauded the country's rigorous school system, where over 80 percent of South Korean high school graduates go on to enroll at a university.How many Korean students study abroad? ›
The research found that as of December 2020, the number of Korean students studying abroad was 171,343. By comparison this number was 293,157, recorded at the end of 2018.What do most Koreans major in? ›
- Computer Science. Computer science degrees are the most sought-after for Korean students in the US because they are extremely in-demand among top global companies and also well compensated. ...
- Economics. ...
- Biology. ...
- Business Management. ...
According to the latest SEVIS by the Numbers report, South Korean students account for 7 percent of the United States' international student population with more than 81,000 F and M students studying in the United States.How many Koreans get into Harvard? ›
According to Harvard Worldwide, in 2018, 317 South Korean citizens were enrolled at Harvard, the fourth largest number of international students by country after Canada, China, and India. That same year, the total number of Harvard alumni from Korea was 1,413.Which US state has the most Koreans? ›
Hawaii was the state with the highest concentration of Korean Americans, at 1.8%, or 23,200 people.
Southern California and the New York City Metropolitan Area have the largest populations of Koreans outside of the Korean Peninsula.Who are the largest international students in USA? ›
New York University serves over 21,000 international learners hailing from more than 140 countries. For the 2021-2022 school year, NYU had the most international students of any university in the U.S.Where is South Korea ranked in education? ›
|Country||Rank (2021)||Rank (2020)|
The education system of South Korea is considered one of the best in the world, standing out in the field of science. South Korea's government has a strong focus on its education system, as it accounts for a large part of its country's economy.Where do Korean students go after school? ›
Hagwon. These after-school academies are attended by most students. Here, middle and high schoolers focus on academics while primary school students can choose between academics, art, or sports subjects. Hagwons can also be made mandatory by the school the student is attending even though these schools are not free.Is college in Korea cheaper than us? ›
Studying abroad in South Korea is very affordable when compared to tuition and living prices in the US. Tuition for a direct enrollment semester abroad in South Korea ranges from $1,800 to around $6,000 depending on the university and subjects you're studying.What is the rank of Korean college in the world? ›
Korea University Rankings
Korea University is ranked #290 in Best Global Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.
The United States takes the number one spot on the list due to its large number of prestigious universities and well-developed higher education system. With world-famous universities such as Harvard, Yale, and Stanford among its ranks, the US has a wide range of educational opportunities for international students.What percentage of Koreans have a college degree? ›
Seventy percent of young Koreans (ages 25-34) have completed some higher education, and a similar proportion of high school graduates continue on to college or university each year. By contrast, only 49 percent of young Americans have a degree beyond high school. The rich-world average is just 44 percent.What is the college dropout rate in Korea? ›
A research done on the 253 national 4-year university (2016 notification) in 'Higher Education in Korea' says that among 18 million students there are 247 registered students who have stopped their studies and are considered dropouts. This dropout rate is every 7 out of 100 people (7.4%).
The United States was the top host destination for international students worldwide. In 2020, over one million students were enrolled in higher education in the US. Furthermore, about half a million international students enrolled in the United Kingdom and Canadian higher education.What is the most respected profession in Korea? ›
- No.1 Corporate Executive.
- Real No.1 South Korea Lawmakers.
- No.2 Psychiatrist.
- No.3 Plastic Surgeon.
- No.4 Surgeon.
- Tied For No.4 Obstetrician-Gynecologist.
- No.6 Urologist.
- No.7 Ophthalmologist.
This test is the most difficult exam in the world, and it marks the students' careers, work, and even personal life. Without a high score on this exam, there is no chance of being accepted into Seoul National University, as it is the most competitive in the country.Which degree is most valuable in South Korea? ›
- Electrical engineering.
- Civil engineering.
- Mechanical engineering.
- Biomedical engineering.
- Computer engineering.
- Nuclear engineering.
- Aeronautical engineering.
- The United Kingdom (10,292 students);
- Germany (8,550 students);
- Turkey, lying partly in Europe (8,467 students);
- Spain (8,165 students);
- France (7,751 students);
- Italy (5,695 students); and.
- Russia (4,802 students).
|Sr.No||Country||Number of International students|
The Asian Americans constitute 3.6% of the U.S. population, with 10,242,998. Korean Americans comprise about 11% of the Asian American community. Below is a breakdown of Korean population by State as well as a comparative graph.Which Ivy League has the most Korean students? ›
Harvard has 37 Korean undergraduates, more than from any foreign country except Canada and Britain. Harvard, Yale and Princeton have a total of 103 Korean undergraduates. Kim Soo-yeon, 19, who was accepted by Princeton, in the spring of 2008.How many Koreans are in Yale? ›
Korean Graduate Student Association at Yale (KGSA) consists of about 200 Korean/Korean-American students and post-docs in graduate school of art and science and 11 professional schools at Yale University. It also includes about a dozen of faculty members at Yale and some Yale almuni living nearby.How many Korean students are at Yale? ›
An analysis of student visa data suggests that in 2020 as many as 60,331 South Korean students came to the U.S. to study at American colleges and universities. From this pool of 60,331, Yale was home to approximately 129 South Korean students.
“America” in Korean – 미국 (miguk) You can say “America” in Korean as 미국 (miguk). A quick side note, the United States of America had previously aided South Korea during the Korean War before the Korean peninsula was divided into South and North Korea.Where is the biggest Koreatown in the US? ›
Los Angeles, California
The Greater Los Angeles Area is home to the largest number of ethnic Koreans outside of the Korean Peninsula. Koreatown is an officially recognized district of the city and contains probably the heaviest concentration of Korean residents and businesses.
Korean. Another Asian origin language – Korean – belongs to the most widely spoken languages in the United States. Almost 1.1 million Korean speakers are located mainly in the states of Virginia, Georgia, and Alabama. Still, they can also be found in the US major cities like Chicago, Washington, and New York.Who is South Korea's biggest ally? ›
The United States and South Korea are allies under the 1953 Mutual Defense Treaty. Under the agreement, U.S. military personnel have maintained a continuous presence on the Korean peninsula.How long can a Korean citizen stay in USA? ›
An approved ESTA allows South Korean citizens to visit the United States for tourism, business, transit, medical or short study purposes for up to 90 days per visit. If you wish to stay in the United States beyond 90 days, you should apply for a B1 Business or B2 Tourist Visa.Where do the rich live in Korea? ›
The Gangnam area, which includes Gangnam-gu, Seocho-gu, Yongsan-gu, and Songpa-gu, is one of the richest neighborhoods in South Korea. What is Gangnam Style? Gangnam has developed greatly since the 1960s with intensive government investment.Which is the cheapest college in USA for international students? ›
- Nicholls State University. ...
- Eastern New Mexico University. ...
- Brigham Young University. ...
- Bridgewater State University. ...
- Minnesota State University-Moorhead. ...
- Mississippi University for Women. ...
- Southwest Minnesota State University.
The city holds the largest number of internationally ranking universities out of all the best American student cities on this list! These include big leaguers like Columbia University and New York University.
Diversity of Programs
Along with the diversity of fellow students, universities in the USA also offer a variety of excellent programs and courses. Whether it is at the undergraduate level or master's level, US universities offer a wide range of specialty degrees. Take an example of the University of California.
It includes degrees in various popular fields such as economics, science, technology, management, engineering, finance, fashion, and social science, to name a few. South Korea is one of the top OECD countries regarding academic achievement and competitiveness.
“On average, students in Korea enter bachelor's programmes at the age of 19, and 50 percent of 19-20 year-olds and 46 percent of 21-22 year-olds were enrolled in a bachelor's programme (the OECD averages are 30 percent and 29 percent respectively),” said the report.How many days a week do Korean students go to school? ›
The academic year in Korea runs from March to February, divided by a summer break in July/August and a winter break in December/January. Korean children attend classes 5.5 days a week and spend about 220 days a year in school versus 175 to 180 days in the United States.How many hours of sleep do South Korean students get? ›
Students in grades 5-6 reported an sTST of 8.15±1.12 hours, those in grades 7-9 8.17±1.20 hours, and students in grades 10-12 6.87±1.40 hours.Which country has the hardest education system? ›
Which are the hardest education systems in the world? Ans. The countries with the hardest and most difficult education systems include South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Finland, etc.How many hours do South Korean students study? ›
15+ Hour School Days:
For every Korean student, the daily routine is more or less the same. Everyone has to attend school at 8 am, and they leave school at around 9 or10 pm. This means students have to wake up at 7 am, and they go to bed around 11 pm.
While French, German, and Spanish continue to be the most taught languages in the United States, People have started learning other languages like Korean, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, and Portuguese.How long is college in Korea? ›
Korea has a single-track 6-3-3-4 system, which denotes six years of elementary school, three years of middle school, three years of high school, and four years of college or university which also offer graduate courses leading to master's degrees and doctoral degrees.Which US colleges have the most Korean students? ›
Over 3,300 students of Korean heritage study at UCLA, the most of any university in the United States. The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) houses the largest and most prestigious Korean program of any university in the continental United States.Which US universities have the most Korean students? ›
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Stanford University.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Harvard University.
- University of California, Berkeley.
- Princeton University.
South Korea is 22.0% cheaper than United States.
According to Harvard Worldwide, in 2018, 317 South Korean citizens were enrolled at Harvard, the fourth largest number of international students by country after Canada, China, and India. That same year, the total number of Harvard alumni from Korea was 1,413.Is SNU better than Harvard? ›
Even though SNU is one of the best universities in Korea, if not the best university in Korea, Harvard/Stanford is much better. SNU ranks far behind Harvard/Stanford university in all of the surveys or research.What are the three most prestigious universities in Korea? ›
SKY is an acronym used to refer to the three most prestigious universities in South Korea: Seoul National University, Korea University, and Yonsei University. The term is widely used in South Korea, both in media and by the universities themselves.What country is #1 in education? ›
That's because American schools are well known for providing high-quality education through a balanced, tried-and-tested curriculum. The US education system is informed by cutting-edge research, which helps develop students into critical thinkers with well-rounded social-emotional skills.Where does United States rank in education? ›
The IMD World Competitiveness Center reports that the U.S. ranked 10th in its 2020 Competitiveness Report after ranking first in 2018.How many Korean students are in the US? ›
Korea represents the third largest source of foreign students matriculating at U.S. universities, comprising 4.3 percent of total international students in the U.S. The Open Doors Report from the Institute of International Education (IIE) indicates that a total of 39,491 Korean students were enrolled in U.S. ...Is South Korea most educated country? ›
South Korea is one of the top-performing OECD countries in reading, literacy, mathematics and sciences with the average student scoring about 519, compared with the OECD average of 493, which ranks Korean education at ninth place in the world.Is Korea the most educated country? ›
|Ranking||55-64 year-olds||25-34 year-olds|
Students spend much of their time, often between 12 to 16 hours per day, at school or at a special after-school academy called a hagwon. The school system is very test-focused and goal-oriented, urging students to concentrate on their results.
Gap Year Programs Around the World
Thanks to Korea Gap Year, local and international students can now take that much-needed break post-high school or during college to discover themselves.
Russia has the world's most highly-educated population, with over half of Russian nationals holding a university degree. One major advantage of studying in Russia is the scholarship opportunities available. Each year, the Russian government grants thousands of scholarships to international students.What is the richest job in South Korea? ›
1 Corporate Executive (CEO): $110,000. The highest-paid job in 2021 is a corporate leader (CEO) who will make an average of about 140 million won(110,000 USD) per year.What is a good GPA in Korea? ›
|Letter Grade||Grade Point|
Korea University in South Korea requires students to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.8 in order to stand a good chance to get admission into Korea University.What is the number 1 college in South Korea? ›
Best for top-ranked education: Seoul National University. Best for English-taught classes: Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology (KAIST) Best for campus amenities: Kyung Hee University. Best for culture and language immersion: Sogang University.Where in USA are most Koreans? ›
Southern California and the New York City Metropolitan Area have the largest populations of Koreans outside of the Korean Peninsula.Where in the US has the most Korean population? ›
The ten states with the largest estimated Korean American populations were California (452,000; 1.2%), New York (141,000, 0.7%), New Jersey (94,000, 1.1%), Virginia (71,000, 0.9%), Texas (68,000, 0.3%), Washington (62,400, 0.9%), Illinois (61,500, 0.5%), Georgia (52,500, 0.5%), Maryland (49,000, 0.8%), Pennsylvania ( ...Why do so many Koreans come to America? ›
The high unemployment rate, political insecurity, and military dictatorship caused massive numbers of Koreans to immigrate to the United States in the 1960s through the early 1980s. Their children, largely known as the “second generation,” (gyopo in Korean) compose the present-day Korean-American community.Do a lot of Americans live in South Korea? ›
In 2021, about 57.8 thousand U.S. citizens lived in South Korea, down from about 59.7 thousand in the previous year.
Korean is the ninth most spoken language in North America, with about 1.2 million speakers. The majority of these speakers live in the United States (1.1 million), and the remaining North American Korean speakers live in Canada (153,000).What percent of Americans are Korean? ›
The Asian Americans constitute 3.6% of the U.S. population, with 10,242,998. Korean Americans comprise about 11% of the Asian American community. Below is a breakdown of Korean population by State as well as a comparative graph.How many US citizens live in Korea? ›
Following the division of Korea in the aftermath of the Korean War, in 2022 the percent of foreigners in South Korea has risen to 4.37%, or 2 245 912 people. Half of this population was Chinese (849 804), followed by Vietnamese (235 007), Thais (201 681) and Americans (156 562).Why are there so many Koreans in LA? ›
In the 1950s, Los Angeles received a second wave of Korean immigrants resulting from the Korean War and the children of the first generation of immigrants gave birth to the next generation. After the passage of the Hart-Cellar Act in 1965, Korean immigration increased.What state is comparable to South Korea? ›
South Korea alone is about the size of Portugal or Hungary, or the U.S. state of Indiana.What city in California has the most Korean people? ›
2021 Census Estimates*
Among all American cities and communities, the City of Los Angeles is home to the largest populations of Filipino (129,754), Korean (106,241), Thai (12,427), and Mongolian descent (2,149).
In August 1959, Hawaii officially became the fiftieth US state. Since then, Honolulu has not only remained its largest city, but is the US city with the highest share of Asian-Americans in its population. Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese, and Filipinos live in the city in large numbers.Is it harder for Asians to get into good colleges? ›
According to research from Princeton University, students who identify as Asian must score 140 points higher on the SAT than whites and 450 points higher than Blacks to have the same chance of admission to private colleges.Which US college has the most international students? ›
New York University serves over 21,000 international learners hailing from more than 140 countries. For the 2021-2022 school year, NYU had the most international students of any university in the U.S.